What is a PPG?
A PPG is a group that is open to all patients on the GP practice list including all communities, groups, genders, ages ethnicities, disabilities, paid and unpaid carers and GP practice staff who meet to discuss practice issues and patient experience to help improve the service.
Our PCN PPG established in February 2022 and is open to patients on all seven member practices lists including all communities, groups, genders, ages ethnicities, disabilities, paid and unpaid carers and PCN staff who meet to discuss broader PCN issues, health inequalities in our area and patient experience to help improve our overall service.
Who sits on our PCN PPG?
PPGs are usually made up of a group of volunteer patients and the practice manager. There is usually one or more of the GPs/staff from the practice too.
Within our PCN PPG the group is made up of volunteer patients across our seven member practices who are also volunteers in their individual practice PPG’s and core management and admin staff of the PCN. We have a nominated chair and vice chair for our PPG.
We endeavour to regularly invite colleagues from different services and the Integrated Care System (ICS) to provide us with updates on what is happening locally and at a wider scale.
Purpose of a PPG?
Our PPG works together with the PCN to represent the patient’s voice in decision making and ensuring that all communities within the PCN are represented.
Being part of our PPG provides an opportunity:
- for patients and PCN staff to meet and discuss constructive suggestions for improving the PCN as a whole, and share concerns that could affect our population.
- to increase your knowledge and understanding of our PCN within Benfleet
- to raise broader issues happening within the member practices that the PCN can support with on a wider scale
- to be listened too and raise your knowledge on what you feel is most important for you and the people of Benfleet, including what you think we should strive to improve first
- to support health awareness
- to engage and work together with the local communities to ensure the PPG is truly reflective of Benfleet and helps the PCN to provide the best possible care for our population
When and where are the PCN PPG meetings held?
Our PCN PPG meetings are currently held on the 3rd Wednesday of every four to six weeks from 10am to 11am. The meetings are held virtually over Microsoft Teams to provide flexibility for our members. We aim to meet face to face at our PCN Hub every 3 months.
Where can I access the PCN PPG minutes?
The PCN PPG minutes can be made available upon request to the PCN management team via: [email protected]
How do I join the PCN’s PPG?
We need you and your voice! To find out more and express your interest in joining our exciting PPG please get in touch with the PCN management team via: [email protected]
The following links may be of interest for ideas, tools or resources:
- National Association for Patient Participation (NAPP)
- Public Health England – Campaign Resource Centre – you can request resource packs if you want to support a Public Health England campaign
- National Institute Health Research – You can find out how your local PPG can get involved in local health research
- Framework for patient and public participation in Health and Justice commissioning – this framework is a guide for NHS commissioners of health and justice services – and anyone who is interested, including patients and the public, the voluntary sector, and providers of health and social care services. The framework describes how NHS England involves patients and the public in the commissioning of health and justice services <note this guidance is due to be revised in June to take into account the move to an ICS>
- NHS England Involvement Hub – a source of information for people who want to get involved in our work or enable others to participate.